Wednesday, January 8, 2014

January 8th - Day Four

Today has been one of my favorite days thus far. We spent the morning at the public Jewish school in Sofia. We had the opportunity to interact with high schoolers in their English classroom. We played a classic ice breaker called "move your butt" and we challenged their American knowledge with a game of jeopardy. The amount that they knew was awesome and surprising!

We also had a chance to ask questions where we learned about their academic success. Their 4th grade classroom was actually the highest scoring in Bulgaria. They were incredibly proud of their success and expect more to come.  The school is 30% Jewish and are offered both Hebrew and English classes. They educate students from 1st grade until 12th and it is a competitive process to be accepted. It was very fascinating and reminded me of the private school system back in the States.

We then received a tour of the school where we said hello to a few younger classrooms, visited their media room where they have a radio, television, and recording system. We especially enjoyed that their bell to switch classes was a song rather than the typical annoying ringing noise we grew up with.

As a future educator, the school was one of my favorite experiences thus far and I loved the opportunity to learn about a school so different yet so similar to what I know. I will use what I learned to help me become the best teacher I can be.

I cannot wait for what more we have to come on this incredible adventure. The time in Bulgaria has definitely flown by!


- Stacy Bernstein 


This morning related perfectly to my English Education major. We went to a prestigious K-12 Jewish school and spoke English with the students in their English classes. 

I was really impressed with their ability to speak it! Our trip to the school also made me want to teach abroad at some point in the future. After lunch we went to the JCC and played with the preschoolers. 

There's a reason I plan to teach middle and high schoolers as opposed to elementary students. They were so cute and fun, really! But I chose to simply sit back and observe rather than awkwardly join in. However, in general, today was a very relaxing and fun day.


On another note, I want to talk about my overall experience in Bulgaria. I now understand the meaning of this trip. Sure, the Jewish community needs all the money they can get to continue their absolutely wonderful programming here, but there is more to this than just money. 

After spending the day at a Jewish K-12 school and playing with the preschoolers at the JCC, all 23 of us and our Bulgarian peers sat in a circle and a few of us shared our thoughts of the trip. 

Brent spoke first and gave a beautiful, informal speech. He mentioned a quote that one of our Bulgarian friends told him. Where most Bulgarians would consider themselves "surviving, not living," Mimi believes that because of the Jewish community here and us visiting, they are not only surviving, they are living. 

With our help, from dancing and singing with the elderly, to watching my peers play with little kids, we made their lives more than just surviving. 

- Pearl Sonnenschein 



Today was a mix of emotions. In the morning, we split into groups to lead activities for high school students at the Jewish school to encourage practicing English. 

I really enjoyed this because I had the opportunity to step into the role of a leader. Since this is a leadership mission, I felt surprisingly overwhelmed to be leading a group of leaders - it was a unique experience for me.

I helped organize the game "Move Your Butt," and with the help of Alex we led an informal game of Jeopardy. The entire 40 minutes flew by. 

Hours later, and we were sitting in a circle at the JCC in the same room that we had dinner in on our very first night in Bulgaria. This was a time for some final comments and reflections. As we neared the end of the conversation, I was shocked to find myself crying. It amazes me that in what seems to have been a very short 3 days that I was able to bond and connect with my Bulgarian peers to the point of tears. 

I am so sad to be leaving this country, but cannot wait to see what Romania has in store for us. 

- Lyndsey Havens



Today we went a Jewish school for grades 1st-12th grade. The environment was very different from a regular American public school because the students focus more on graduating from High School than going to a University.

When we first arrived at the High School, I was afraid that the Bulgarian students were going to judge us because we did not know their culture or language. However, they were very welcoming, and in fact knew a lot about Americans and our culture, society, and language.

Later on in the day, we went to the Kindergarten at the JCC and had loads of fun with them. As I walked into the room, the kids ran up and hugged me, without knowing who or where I came from. The grins on their faces as we entered the room made my day. We were supposed to teach them American games, but instead, they taught us amazing Bulgarian dances and songs. 

The experiences at the Bulgarian schools were eye opening in a way that I will never forget. The Bulgarians left an impact on me that changed this trip for me for the better, and I am forever grateful.

- Austin Ruben 




No comments:

Post a Comment